Wiltshire Council Parish Steward Scheme
The aim of the Parish Steward Scheme is to create a service which provides solutions to the many minor needs of the roads and footways.
Broad Town will receive one visit a month from the steward, with a truck, equipped with a full range of hand tools and materials to address a wide variety of minor highway defects and needs.
The tasks that will be carried out will usually be identified by the Parish Council in advance of the visit.
Parish Steward Tasks
This list was prepared by Wiltshire council and describe the activities that the Parish Stewards may be able to do to help us:
- Hand clearing and cutting of growth from drainage grips and drain gully covers
- Hand clearing of blocked drainage gullies, culverts, pipes and pits
- Clearing storm debris from the roads and footways
- Clearing collision debris, but not litter
- Cleaning, re-installation and straightening of small road signs and street nameplates
- Installation of small road signs, verge marker posts and supplied street name plates
- Removal of limited graffiti from road signs, bollards and street nameplates
- Hand cutting of grass and vegetation in visibility areas
- Hand treatment of weeds in rural areas
- Clearance of encroaching growth and soils from footways
- Repair of minor potholes and surface defects in roads and on footways
If you see something that you think could be a suitable job for the parish steward, please email our Parish Clerk at and report the issue. Please remember the parish steward can only deal with highways related issues, so issues connected to play areas or byways would not be covered. Please bear in mind it is only one steward with a truck and bigger issues would still need to be reported to Wiltshire Council via the online app: